A patch test is a bit like a doctor testing for allergies. A small amount of a substance that may be potentially used on your skin or on a hair treatment is placed on the skin just behind your ear.
At The Hideout in Coventry we perform a patch test at least 48 hours before any complete chemical treatment is carried out, this gives us plenty of time to see if your body might react negatively towards the treatment.
It may sound a bit dramatic but with the rising influence of social media, more people are turning to hair and beauty treatments as a necessity rather than a luxury. Similarly and possibly due to its growing presence in the market, Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) allergies are also on the increase. Luckily there is a growing awareness of the potential dangers of chemical treatments but you can never be too cautious where your own health is at risk.
No patch test no treatment
It is a common occurrence at the Hideout, Coventry to be told by clients that "It will be ok, I have my hair coloured all the time" or "I`ve had it done elsewhere and they didn't need to do this". We always reply "no patch test no treatment". It's not that at The Hideout we are big headed or don't value the business, it's because we value our clients old and new too much to risk their health and safety.
What we do to perform the test:
For hair colourants, semi-permanent or permanent, we mix up a base colour which contains the most PPD. This is then put on the skin behind the ear and the client signs a record card stating the date and what has been used and whether its hair colour, lash glue, perm, lash lift serum, coloured mousse, eyebrow/lash tint etc. The client is then advised to look out for any itching, burning, redness on the skin. If any symptoms arise we do tend to try the other side just to make sure it wasn't a one off sensitivity, but under absolutely no circumstance will a chemical treatment take place until we are certain the client is ok with the chemical. Absolutely nothing gets done at The Hideout Coventry unless the patch test is performed and after 48 hours if the client hasn't reacted.
Are these treatments safe?
You may well be considering a hair or beauty treatment and are somewhat concerned about the potential dangers, especially after seeing some dramatic pictures readily available on the Internet. You are right to be cautious and as such you should ensure your salon asks you the right questions, do the right pre-treatment tests and allow you to ask any questions you have regarding the treatment.
I hope that gives you some information and advice on the issue of patch tests. Any further questions please drop us a line.
Hope to see you all soon.
We are loving the style and performance of cloud 9 straighteners and think you will too
Here at the Hideout hair & beauty salon, Coventry; we have been using ghd straighteners for many years and they have proved very reliable and give a consistently great level of performance.
However, whenever there is a new product around we love to try it out and we were not disappointed with what we found in the new cloud 9 range. The very affordable multi award winning cloud 9 straighteners offer floating, mineral-coated ceramic plates and adjustable temperature, allowing for optimal performance and care for all hair types. The hideoutcoventry is pleased not to only stock cloud 9 to be used by all our stylists, but also offer it for sale to all our customers. Also, for a limited period, cloud 9 are offering a trade in of £30 for your old ghd's against the original cloud 9 iron. To get your hands on a pair just pop into the hideout, Coventry for more details.
See you all soon.
Hot stone massage is an increasingly popular therapy treatment and a firm favourite of clients at the Hideout, Coventry. These days it is perhaps not seen as a luxury but as a wise choice in helping to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the busy and often stressful lives we lead.
Here are my top 6 benefits of hot stone massage as carried out at the hideout :
1. A great way to de-stress. It is commonly agreed that stress can lead to many other ailments and illnesses. Whether work life or issues at home are grinding you down, to manage your stress will help your vitality and mindfulness immensely. A hot stone massage both relaxes your mind and releases muscular tension, thus it is one of the best ways to relieve you of stress.
2. Improves health conditions. Increasing studies are recommending this therapy as part of treatment of health problems including Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Hypertension and musculoskeletal problems. A key aspect to health improvement through hot stone therapy is that of improved blood circulation and flow of energy attained by placing the hot stones in certain places on your body.
3. Aids a better nights sleep. Our body and brain needs a good nights sleep in order to regenerate. A regular lack of quality sleep can lead to many physical and mental complications. A hot stone massage will aid the fatigue in your body and mind to help to ease off into a good nights rest.
4. Relieves pain. Manipulation of muscles can significantly reduce muscle spasm and give comfort to painful muscles, making it a solid choice for those who suffer from back pains or muscle aches.
5. Aids rehabilitation. Massage can facilitate faster recovery from injuries such as sprains.
6. Releases toxins from your body. When muscles are massaged, toxins that are clogged within are released. Water drunk after therapy is always advised in order to help flush out those unhealthy and unwanted toxins.
Please get in contact for more information, pop in for a chat or book yourself in for a hot stone therapy session with me at the hideout, Coventry.
I hope to see you soon.